React Accessibility (React Finland)

On March 29, 2021, I gave a live coding demonstration alongside other accessibility experts Nic Steenhout and Eeva-Jonna Panula. I shared about poor component development I’d encountered in a recent project I’ve worked in, and the efforts it took me to remediate those accessibility problems. Caption are are available, but React Finland leaned on YouTube…More

Path Object Not Tagged (PDF problems)

Mayday! For two days I’d been trying to solve a mystery for a client that I’ve been guiding in PDF accessibility. We knew that InDesign was causing the issue, but we struggled to figure out how the issue was being caused. Let me back up a little to offer some context. My client creates things…More

7 Reasons Why Accessibility Overlays Aren’t a Magical Solution

Recently I had a conversation with an accessibility colleague at work about accessibility overlays for webpages. This conversation sprouted from a goal set a couple years ago that aimed to explore options and purchase a 3rd-party overlay for our sites as a solution to improve the accessibility of our web presence. Thankfully, time passed with…More

A Glimpse into R and the Data Scientist’s Toolbox

I recently completed Coursera’s “The Data Scientist’s Toolbox” course presented by Johns Hopkins University. This 4-week course offers a broad overview of what data science is and how to set up your “toolbox” for R programming and analysis of data. Below are my takeaways that have inspired me to continue to learn more about data…More

In 2018: I Took Back My Time

2018 was my year to drop time wasters and get serious about my time. My priority is my family (husband and son), but I also care deeply about a fulfilling career (web development and accessibility). Those two things don’t leave me with much time when I want them both to flourish. So, I decided to…More

Normative vs. Non-normative

In my current journey to thoroughly study and understand web accessibility, I had a question that I needed to ask the Internet about W3C documentation: “What is the difference between normative and non-normative?” I found a great explanation on StackOverflow by Michael Kay: “Normative” means that it’s an official formal part of the specification; non-normative…More

Launching 100 Days of A11y Site

In honor of Blue Beanie Day (November 30) and in conjunction with my own preparation for IAAP’s Web Accessibility Standards certification exam, I’m committing to a second round of 100 Days of Accessibility and launched an 100DaysOfA11y website to keep me accountable. My hope during my study process is to provide you digestible snippets about…More

Synchronize Files in Dreamweaver

Is anyone out there still using Adobe Dreamweaver in 2018? I am. It’s my text editor of choice at work because 1) it was given to me to use, and 2) it seamlessly puts my files from my local environment to the production server. One of the features I’ve recently discovered, and love to use…More

Two New Shortcuts Added to My Web Design Toolbox

One perk about the web designer and developer life is that I’m always learning. Always. Today I learned how to… Quickly convert content to code Today I found myself pulling out the headphones, turning up the Moana soundtrack, and tediously beginning the manual process of copying content in between HTML tags. About a quarter of…More

Troubleshooting: Using JSON on IIS

Progressive web apps, also known as PWAs, are hot and happening right now. If you’ve been keeping up on web development in 2018, you’ll likely have heard about them. I’ve been learning about them most of the year through Udacity’s Mobile Web Specialist nanodegree program that I’m about to graduate from. To add icing to…More